Win an Oris Roberto Clemente Limited Edition Big Crown Pointer Date as well as StrapHabit credits. Details below.
Readers of the WatchCharts blog might remember my review from about a year ago of the Oris Chronoris Movember Edition. In that review, I shared that I had won the watch through a Movember fundraiser event that I participated in!
What I didn’t explain in that article, was the reason for my motivation to raise money for men’s health. October 2020 marked my one-year anniversary of being diagnosed with, and treated for testicular cancer. Since then, I have been participating in a clinical trial to allow my testing to be used for research to help others, as well as undergoing regular CT scans, X-Rays, and blood testing. October, 2021 marks my two-year anniversary of having clean test results and scans, and avoiding chemotherapy. Although it was a difficult ordeal, we caught it early, and it pales in comparison to what many others with cancer go through.
Please drop me an email or a DM on Instagram if you’re going through anything similar, and need someone to talk to. Also, please get yourselves checked regularly, don’t be afraid to see a doctor if something doesn’t seem right. Trust me, you’d rather waste your time finding out that you are healthy, than wait until the “easy” treatment is too late.
Since last year, the Chronoris Movember has become one of my favorite watches, and it was a blessing to receive it as a gift. Because of this, I wanted to pay it forward and so something bigger than last year. I’ll be growing a moustache again in 2021, and hope to raise even more money for the team than last year.
In thinking of ways to try to raise more money, I considered giving away the Chronoris. Since I got it though, I have been wearing it to all of my oncologist appointments, and it’s become a bit of a good luck charm. I did think that it would be fitting to give away an Oris, however. The brand didn’t do a Movember edition watch this year, but it did debut this very cool Oris Roberto Clemente Limited Edition Big Crown Pointer Date. Besides his baseball Hall of Fame status, he is also known for his humanitarian efforts through the Roberto Clemente Foundation. Thus, I thought that watch would be a great choice to give away.
About the Watch
The Big Crown line is its own collection in the Oris lineup. This is probably because it is not a dress watch like the Altelier line, but also doesn’t have a specific “tool” function such as the Pilot or Diver lines. It’s just an attractive line of versatile watches that come in a wide variety of colors and sizes.
The Roberto Clemente edition starts life as a standard steel 40mm Big Crown Pointer Date (or BCPD). Most of the BCPD watches, including this one, are powered by the Oris calibre 754 (based on the Sellita SW-200 1). It features automatic winding, 26 jewels, 38 hours of power reserve when fully wound, and beats at 28,800 vph (8 beats per second).
What makes it unique is a pearl white dial (similar to the color of a baseball) with gold Arabic numerals. The minute track is in black with gold borders to separate the dial from the outer white date markings. A hand with a gold tip points to the date on this track (hence the name). There are no markings on the dial indicating that this is a limited edition (which I prefer). The only subtle clue is the 21 date marker (Clemente’s number) in gold.
The caseback is where Oris denotes that this watch is special. It features an engraved image of Roberto Clemente as well as the serial number of the limited edition. 3000 was chosen for the number of watches, as it was the number of hits he had during his career. Oris also blocked off serial numbers 1971-2020 to issue to living players who have received the Roberto Clemente award for sportsmanship during those years.
In addition to its unique dial and caseback, the Clemente includes a soft, light brown leather strap. The strap is double-stitched, and looks similar to the leather used in a baseball mit. As with the Chronors Movember, the Roberto Clemente edition also includes an attractive striped, NATO-style strap (this time in an attractive tan and brown with white stripes).
At 40mm wide, the BCPD is a great size for many people, and its mix of brushed and polished finishes make it very versatile. Grooves around the edge of the bezel make it stand out, and a highly domed crystal give it a vintage look, while adding a pleasing distortion to the edge of the dial where the date indicators sit.
At an MSRP of $1,950, the Oris Big Crown Pointer Date watch offers the great value that lovers of the Oris brand have come to expect. The special touches of the Roberto Clemente Limited Edition make it that much more special. The size and finishing make it a versatile watch that will go with most outfits, and the fact that you could get one for only $20 should make it even more enticing!
- Name: Oris Roberto Clemente Limited Edition Big Crown Pointer Date
- Reference Number: 01 754 7741 4081
- Price: $1,950
- Dimensions: 40mm diameter, 48.3mm lug-to-lug, 12.1mm thick, 20mm lug width
- Movement: Oris Calibre 754 (Sellita SW 200-1)
- Water Resistance: 50m
- Crystal: Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Crown: Screw-Down
- Strap: Quick release leather, and striped NATO-style nylon
How to Win
For every $20 that is donated to the Movember fundraiser linked here, you will receive one entry to win the Oris Roberto Clemente Limited Edition Big Crown Pointer Date. The winner will be chosen by a random drawing of all of the contributors.
In addition, every entry of $100 or more will receive a $20 credit to StrapHabit.com.
To enter to win the Oris Roberto Clemente Limited Edition Big Crown Pointer Date
- Visit the Movember page linked here.
- Make a donation of your desired amount. $20 = 1 entry, $40 = 2 entries, etc. For your entries to count, use your full name for the donation and provide an email address. The winner will be contacted via the email provided with the Movember donation.
- The entry period ends November 30th at midnight EST. Visit this page for the full rules.
To Receive your $20 credit to StrapHabit
- Visit the Movember page linked here.
- Make a donation of $100 or more. Use your full name for the donation.
- Place an order at StrapHabit.com using the same name that was used to make the donation.
- Use the code MOUSTACHE to receive $20 off. The name used for the order will be checked against donor names, any false orders using the code will be canceled and refunded.
- This giveaway is not affiliated with Oris or Movember. All donations will be directly made to Movember, not to StrapHabit or WatchCharts.
- The watch was purchased by StrapHabit pre-owned, and is in like-new condition. It retains the remainder of the Oris warranty.
- The watch will ship with its original box, papers, warranty card, both original straps and strap changing tool.